How to apply Snap Tape
- Snap tape has 2 sides that fasten together. Separate the two sides.
- Sew one side of the tape to the outside of the left side of the seam, and the other to the inside of the right side of the seam.
- Match the two sides of the tape so that, once the snaps are closed, the opening looks like a regular seam.
- The easiest way to match the two sides is to sew one side of the tape to the garment opening, then snap the two sides of the snap tape together.
- Then, lay the other side of the opening over the joined snap tape, matching seams, patterns and edges.
- Carefully pin through the top garment layer and un-sewn side of the snap tape.
- Unsnap the tape.
- Holding the snap tape firmly to the garment, one by one move the pins to the snap tape side of the garment, pinning through the tape and the garment.
- Sew the tape to the garment along each side of the tape, using thread that matches the garment. If you are machine-stitching the tape (recommended), using a zipper foot for this stitching allows you to fit stitching between the snaps and the edge of the tape.